Select Page


What do we need to bring on the first day of school?
  • For the first week of school, students should bring all household cleaning supplies and a writing instrument
  • Leave all other school supplies at home and use as needed.
  • Please refer to the School Supply list.
How do we communicate with our child’s teachers?
  • All teachers at NVMS have a DOE email address.  They will be provided to your child during the first week of school.
  • You may also write questions in your child’s planner.  This will be provided on the first day of school with their homeroom teachers.
Where is Lost and Found?
  • If your child is missing an item, please check with the office. It’s a good idea to label all belongings (water bottle, folders, bag, writing instruments) with your child’s LEGAL name. That way we can help get found items back to your child.


What do I do if my child forgets something, e.g. backpack, homework, PE shoes, musical instrument, ID badge, etc.
  • Please have your child prepare their backpack the night before school.
  • Have a checklist of everything they may need the following day.
  • Please avoid using the school office as a drop off zone – especially for forgotten home lunches.
  • Items must be placed in a sealed bag with child’s LEGAL name.
  • It is NOT the responsibility of our office staff to deliver items to your child’s class that your child has forgotten.  They will try to accommodate when their time is available.
  • Please be courteous of our office staff that helps serve over 800 students every day.
How do I report my child's absence?
  • Call the office by 8:30am at 377-2440 and press #1 for Attendance.
  • Leave a recorded message by providing your child’s LEGAL name, grade, reason for absence, your name, and phone number.
What if I need to pick-up my child early from school?
  • Send a note with your child to the office first thing in the morning stating your child’s LEGAL name, time of pick up, reason, and the name of the person picking up your child.
  • IMPORTANT:  The person picking up your child MUST be on the emergency list (list of people authorized to pick up your child per the emergency form signed and returned at the start of the school year). At the time of pick up, for safety and security purposes, the person picking up your child needs to present a photo I.D. and sign child out in the office.
  • Office will issue an off campus pass to your child.
  • Your child is responsible for showing the pass and notifying his/her teacher of the release time, and then proceeding to the office at the designated time.
  • For last minute pick-ups, we will try to get your child to the office as soon as possible, but we ask for your patience and understanding.  You may encounter a delay as teachers are teaching and may not be easily accessible.
What if my child will be absent because of a trip?
  • Complete and submit the Absence/Trip Notification Form.  The form is also available in the office.
  • Submit the completed Form to the office at least one week prior to the date of absence/trip.
What is the school dress code?
  • For SY2020-2021, uniform NVMS T-shirt or PE uniform may be used when on campus (please visit  Footwear and bottoms should meet the dress code guidelines.  For details, please refer to the Dress Code Policy.
  • For the safety of all our students, ID badges need to be worn on them.
Can students use cell phones?
  • Cell phones may not be used during the school day.   They may be used before school starts and after school ends.  In case of emergency, if you need to reach your child, you may notify the school office and your child will be instructed to call you using the school office phone during non-instruction times.
  • Phone messages cannot be relayed to the student for safety reasons because our office cannot verify who the caller is.  Instead, we will inform the student to call their parent using the office landline.
How do I pay for my child’s lunch?
  • Your child’s ID badge will be scanned when he/she buys lunch. Lunch is $2.50. Breakfast is $1.10.
  • Add money to your child’s account throughout the year by completing this Lunch Account Deposit Slip and bringing it with payment to the office.
  • For online payments, go to EZSchoolPay.Com.   You will need your child’s State Student ID number to create an account. (Your child’s State Student ID number can be found on report cards and schedules received at registration).  A 1.99% service fee is charged for all online payments.
My child forgot/lost the ID badge. How do I get a replacement ID badge for my child?
  • Students can purchase another ID badge at the office for $5. Please allow 2 days for processing.
  • Sometimes an ID badge is forgotten at home or misplaced.  A student can still buy lunch without an ID; students may obtain a Pink Slip at the office so that we can keep track of the purchase. However, if the badge is missing for a few days, a new one should be purchased at the office.
How will I be notified of an emergency school closure?
  • In the event of an emergency closure, the school will post the closure notice on the website, and an automated call will be sent out via our call-out system to the first phone number in your child’s file.
How do I request student-related school documents from the office?
  • Requests for student related documents (e.g., current grades, transcripts or other school information for your private school application or other event application) must be made in-person with a picture ID along with the Records Request form. Please allow at least one week for processing. There is a fee of $0.25 per copy.
How do I request a letter of recommendation?
  • Please contact your teacher(s) or administrator(s) directly. Direct contact will ensure a timely response to your request; therefore, verbal requests at the office will not be accepted.
Is NVMS a nut-free school?
  • No. However, the cafeteria does not serve nuts in school meals.
  • Your child may carry rescue medicine with them including inhalers and Epi Pens. Contact our Health Aide for the Self Carry Form and/or any questions at 377-2440 X225.
  • Faculty is provided annual Epipen training by the Department of Health.
  • Please call the Health Aide for any questions regarding medication.